Friday, October 8, 2010

Session 6

Why you believe people are poor in the US and globally- #2 on our original questions.. This also goes into #1, the who are the people that fall into all of these criteria..

Our book compares the association between poverty and: income growth, inequality, and changes in family structures.
Some other leading causes for poverty include:
Language barriers, lack of education, economic conditions, low paying jobs, social standing, immigration status, fraud and abuse, access to public benefits, family obligations, substance abuse, political conditions, and family environment among other things.
I believe that a lack of education, immigration status, and family environment are the three biggest causes of poverty. In my initial post, I attributed bring born into poverty and unemployment as the two biggest contributing features.
The Human Capital Theory states that income differences are a result of differences in productivity, which is low among the poor because they lack the human capital to sell employers in a free market.

I was definitely correct in my original post in my thinking that a lack of education is a large factor in poverty. It was found that if the person had less than a highschool degree, their chances of poverty were 22.3% likely vs. if you had a highschool degree your chances would be only 9.6%,
However, I was incorrect in thinking that unemployment was a major fact and it was found that 37% of poor families had a member of the family working full-time and 35% had a member working atleast part-time.
One solution to this problem is to stress the importance of schooling from a very very early age. I think that more emphasis of a head start program would start this love and emphasis of school at the earliest age possible.

What did you initially think was the largest cause of poverty? What do you currently is the largest cause? 

1 comment:

  1. Now that reading session 6, I completely agree that aducation is a large factor in poverty, but when I did my intial blog I didnt even think about education. I cant believe even a person with a high school degree has a slight chance of slipping into poverty. It amazes me how expensive living is, especailly living with nice clothing and yuummy food.

    Your blogs are interesting and I love the way you word things. I find it very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete